How did Parler make a comeback? App banned over Capitol riots is no longer ‘reliant on big tech for operations’

Parler is back online. On Monday, February 15, Mark Meckler, Interim CEO at Parler, announced that the website is officially restarting its platform and no longer has to rely on “big tech” to function. The relaunch comes after Apple, Google and Amazon ceased operations after the January 6, 2021 attacks on the US Capitol and cited violent threats on the platform.

According to a statement, the platform has been converted to “sustainable, independent technology and does not depend on so-called” big tech “for its operation.” Meckler, who previously co-founded the right-wing group Tea Party Patriots, said: “When Parler was taken offline in January by those trying to silence tens of millions of Americans, our team came together determined to keep our promise to our very committed people Fellowship that we would return stronger than ever. “

CONTINUE READING

Andy Jassy: How the next Amazon CEO ordered the Parler ban after the riot at the Capitol in a secret meeting called “The Chop”.

Why was Parler CEO John Matze fired? Amazon, Apple and Google could host the app again

A general view of the Parler app viewed on an iPhone in London, England on January 9, 2021. The Parler app, popular with right-wing supporters, has been blocked from the Google Play Store due to continued postings by users who incite violence. (Getty Images)

How’s Parler Back?

The Verge reported that Parler transferred its domain registration to Epik, “the Swiss bank of the domain industry”, in January. According to an NPR report, the company is run by Rob Monster and supports conspiracy theory website InfoWars largely -unregulated YouTube alternative called BitChute, the weapons forum AR15.com, and a Trump supporter website called Patriots.win, formerly known as The Donald.

Epik has also been linked to the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer. In 2019, Epik bought the cybersecurity company BitMitigate, which had operated the Daily Stormer. Monster said when Epik realized this, the company ended its relationship with the website. “It’s unfortunate,” said Monster. “The biggest cost of getting BitMitigate wasn’t the amount of money we paid to buy the technology, but the entanglement.”

The co-founder of the Tea Party Patriots, National Coordinator Mark Meckler (R), gives a thumbs up sign as he stands next to his 14-year-old son Jacob while members of the Tea Party Patriots attend a rally on the western lawn of the US U.S. Capitol prepare on Election Day November 2, 2010 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images)

SkySilk, a web infrastructure company based outside of Los Angeles, is now hosting Parler, according to a new NPR report. SkySilk’s executive director Kevin Matossian told NPR, “SkySilk is aware that Parler has received an aggressive response from those who believe their platform has been used as a safe haven for some bad actors.”

Matossian went on to say, “Let me be clear, Skysilk does not advocate or condone hatred, but advocates the right to private judgment and rejects the role of judge, jury and executioner.” According to Parler, the company is taking “necessary steps” to monitor its platform. “Again, the issue is not that SkySilk endorses the message, but the messenger’s right to deliver it. SkySilk will support Parler in its efforts to be a non-partisan public space, as we believe that is the only one appropriate course is. ” Action. “

Smooth return? Not really

A general view of the Parler app icon displayed on an iPhone in London, England on January 9, 2021. (Getty Images)

While Parler said Monday it now has 20 million users, NPR reported that for Parler users, “the relaunch is going to be far from smooth,” adding that the site appears to be working at a “snail’s pace for people who use Computer access “. The site is also not accepting new users, according to the report. On cell phones, Parler doesn’t seem to work at all, the report said.

The Verge said that while old Parler accounts have been restored, old “Parleys” (the website’s term for posts) are not yet available. The report added that some high profile users, like Fox News host Sean Hannity, have already started posting on the new website. The schedules for other important accounts like that of Tucker Carlson or Republican representative Devin Nunes remain empty.

The Chicago Tribune reported that former President Donald Trump, permanently banned from Twitter, is considering joining the site as “Person X”.

If you have a message or an interesting story for us, please call (323) 421-7514

Comments are closed.