Prosecutors released a statement regarding the June shootings in Sinks Canyon

(Lander, WY) – Fremont County Attorney Patrick LeBrun released a statement regarding a June 25 incident that resulted in the serious injury to a Wyoming Highway Patrol officer and the death of 24-year-old David Fann.

At the time of the incident, which took place on Sinks Canyon Road, all that was known was that a “trooper was conducting a traffic control and shortly after the trooper and the suspect were stopped, gunshots were exchanged. The trooper was injured and the suspect died. “

The full publication is below.

“On June 25, 2021, a gunfight occurred in Fremont County, Wyoming, involving a police officer that included a Wyoming Highway Patrol officer.

“As usual, the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) was hired to investigate the matter. This included investigating, collecting and reviewing evidence, conducting interviews and applying special training to understand and break down the incident.

“DCI then submitted its completed investigation to the Fremont County Attorney’s Office for review. The prosecutor examined the case, applied the law to its analysis and reached the following conclusions:

“At around 3:20 pm on June 25, 2021, a Wyoming Highway Patrol soldier ordered a speeding vehicle to be stopped on Sinks Canyon Road near Lander, Wyoming.

“Most of the traffic control, incidents up to the stop, and subsequent incidents, including the two men firing their weapons, can be viewed from the policeman’s dash camera. No sound can be heard because the soldier’s microphone was inoperative at the time of this incident. The soldier reported the incident more than an hour before the incident.

“The driver of the vehicle, later determined to be David Fann, 24 years old, tried to escape the soldier and reached speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour. Before he drove into the city limits of Lander, Mr. Fann drove the vehicle into a driveway of a private residence and stayed in the vehicle to wait for the police officer to contact him. There was also a female passenger in the vehicle.

“Due to the high speed and the evasive attempt by Mr. Fann, the police officer approached the driver’s side of Mr. Fann’s vehicle with obvious caution. He gave verbal orders to Mr. Fann as he approached the vehicle. Mr. Fann left the vehicle on the instructions of the police officer.

“Mr. Fann was armed with a 0.9mm semi-automatic pistol in the open carry position on his right hip.

“The soldier instructed Mr. Fann to put his hands on the roof of the vehicle with his back to the soldier.

“Mr. Fann lifted his hands from the vehicle, took his sunglasses off his face and put his hands back on the roof of the vehicle.

“The soldier grabbed his handcuffs, but Mr. Fann did not cooperate and a fight ensued.

“During that time, Mr. Fann said he was going to shoot the soldier in the face.

“Mr. Fann was able to get his 0.9mm semi-automatic from his hip.

“The soldier held Mr. Fann in a bear hug position from behind while he tried to stop Fann from shooting him.

“The soldier couldn’t reach his weapon because his hands were busy preventing Fann from using his 0.9mm.

“During the fight, Fann tried at least three times to point the weapon at the soldier’s face – and it is actually observed how the weapon is pointed directly at the soldier’s face for fractions of a second, while the soldier is shown pointing his face out ducks the path of the run.

“These events occur in the footage while the soldier is holding Mr. Fann from behind and while Mr. Fann is trying to point the banel of his weapon over his left shoulder at the soldier.

“The fight lasted about 15 seconds; while the two men spun three times as the soldier tried to keep his position behind Fann, and while Fann continued to struggle to aim his weapon at the soldier’s face.

“At that time, Fann stopped shooting the soldier in the face and lowered the gun below his left hip, pointing it backwards to gain an advantage by shooting the soldier in the lower half of his body . In his hurry, however, Fann shot himself in the left thigh.

“The bullet passed through Fann’s thigh and entered the soldier’s leg. This led to the men separating and giving the policeman the opportunity to push Mr. Fann away from him.

“The soldier had freedom of movement, quickly drew his service weapon and fired three times in about 1.5 seconds.

“Since he had a significant loss of blood, he then called for help by radio and continued to hold the passenger and Mr. Fann at gunpoint until help arrived a few minutes later.

“During this time it is also observed how the soldier tries unsuccessfully to tie a tourniquet around his leg.

“Fann was hit by each of the soldier’s three shots.

“As soon as it was safe, the police and other rescue workers tried life-saving measures against Mr. Fann, which ultimately were unsuccessful.

“The exact reasons for Mr. Fann’s behavior that day will probably never be known with certainty. Mr. Fann was not known to be a violent person. This level of violence was certainly beyond its previously known character. Mr. Fann suffered significant life stressors that day and had significant alcohol, marijuana, and methamphetamine poisoning. I am sure that these factors played at least a significant role. June 25, 2021 was a tragic day. Regardless of the sadness and the reasons Mr. Fann did what he did, the soldier acted heroically and necessarily to do what he reasonably believed he was doing that day, to save his own life. The soldier acted lawfully when he killed David Fann on June 25, 2021.

“This office takes no further action.”

Comments are closed.