See what happens when this airsofter with a minigun takes on a full squad

It was arguably worse than any 37 minute US Navy defeat, including Pearl Harbor. In the Battle of Savo Island, Japan sank three American ships and killed over 1,000 U.S. sailors, in addition to the sinking of one Australian ship and the deaths of 84 Australian sailors, while 129 themselves were killed.

The Australian HMAS Canberra burns down after the Battle of Savo Island off Guadalcanal.

(US Marine History and Heritage Command)

While an additional 2,403 people were killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor, those losses were caused over approximately 2 hours and 27 minutes. And three ships were permanently lost at Pearl Harbor, while four were lost through Savo Island. It would later earn the nickname “Ironbottom Sound” for the battle and the area.

On August 7, 1942, the US fleet guarded landing forces in Guadalcanal. Australian coastal observers spotted Japanese planes crashing on the landing forces, and the Navy switched its control vessels and carrier aircraft to address the Japanese threat. The landings were saved, and US Admiral William Halsey later said, “The Coastwatchers saved Guadalcanal and Guadalcanal saved the Pacific.”

But the threat to the fleet was not over. Japan needed the air force base it built on Guadalcanal, and every new pair of American boots that landed on the island posed a direct threat to the empire. So Japan slipped new ships through the St. George Channel and approached Savo Island, where the US blocked access to the Guadalcanal landings.

See what happens when this airsofter takes on an entire squad with a minigun

Japanese Vice Admiral Gunichi Mikawa

(US Marine History and Heritage Command)

The next day, August 8, Japanese ships hid near Bougainville Island and launched reconnaissance planes that quickly spotted the American fleet at the Solomons. The American fleet was split into three locations, and the Japanese commander, Vice Admiral Gunichi Mikawa, hoped to destroy one group before the other two could help. He aimed at the ships on the island of Savo.

His fleet slipped in the early hours of August 9th and launched their attack.

Now it should be said that the American fleet had received some warnings that Japanese ships were still in the area. A submarine and reconnaissance planes spotted the Japanese fleet, but their warnings came late and were misunderstood in the larger intelligence image. Worse, when the commander of the screening squad took his ship to report to his boss, he left no one officially responsible in his place.

The fleet was ill-positioned to respond to an attack and charged toward them.

See what happens when this airsofter takes on an entire squad with a minigun

The USS Quincy is lit by Japanese searchlights during the Battle of Savo Island on August 9, 1942.

(US Marine History and Heritage Command)

The Japanese attack began at 1:42 a.m. The lookouts in the Japanese masts had already found and fixed a number of ships and fed the data to their fire control centers. Just as the first Japanese torches were about to go up, the American destroyer Patterson spotted them and sounded the alarm: “Warning! Warning! Strange ships coming into port. ”The Patterson pursued the Japanese column, received a few hits, but failed to fire its torpedoes.

But the Japanese guns were already on their targets, and the fleet had made it past the outer picket lines so they could attack from vectors and locations America hadn’t expected. Japanese ships pumped ammunition into American ships from a few thousand meters away. They threw torpedoes into the water and hit American and Australian ships before the ship’s crews could reach their guns.

The captain of the Australian HMS Canberra was killed in this first volley and his ship was killed in the water.

The USS Chicago was torpedoed and lost almost all of its bow while the gunners continued to fire disciplined fire at two targets in the dark, one of which may have been a Japanese ship.

The Japanese ships began retreating from this fight at 1:44 a.m., just two minutes after opening fire. They had suffered no serious hits or damage, and had crippled two cruisers and damaged a destroyer. The previous battle had remained hidden from the rest of the American fleet, and Japan turned to the Northern Force.

The turn was poorly organized, and the rest of the fleet now knew a fight was going on, if not the details. So Japan could not count on the same success as in the first five minutes. But the Northern Force still did not know the details of the fight and had no idea that the Japanese were now facing the attack in two columns.

See what happens when this airsofter takes on an entire squad with a minigun

The USS Vincennes stormed valiantly into the Battle of Savo Island, but was quickly attacked by Japanese forces and beaten up by two columns of attackers.

(US Marine History and Heritage Command)

The disorganized Japanese twist still left them well positioned to fire their torpedoes and fire their guns.

The USS Vincennes, a heavy cruiser, sailed into the fray looking for a fight and found it around 1:50 am. Keep in mind that this is still only eight minutes after Japan fired its first rounds and torpedoes. And things didn’t go well for the Vincennes. It was still difficult to tell which ships were friendly and which enemies. A gun troop asked for permission to fire on a Japanese searchlight, but the police thought it might be an American ship.

Japanese cruisers hit the port side of the Vincennes with grenades, breaching the hull, setting an aircraft on fire and creating fires below deck that disrupted fire-fighting equipment and threatened to disrupt the ship’s supply of depth charges, bombs and other ordnance. More shells struck the bridge and the main ship, and then torpedoes struck through the port side, followed just minutes later by a hit on the starboard side.

At 2:03 am the ship was on fire and went down. The crew fled to sea.

At about the same time as Vincennes valiantly entered the battle, the cruiser USS Astoria spotted a Japanese ship and ordered its men into general quarters. But the first Japanese grenades were already flying towards it and exploding as the men still stormed towards the stations.

The Astoria commander made it to the bridge worried that his men might get into an accidental battle with friendly forces. He ordered his ship to cease fire for vital minutes. It was not fired again until after 1:54 a.m.

The Japanese heavy cruiser Chokai continued to make rounds on the Astoria until the fifth volley struck and hit the superstructure of the Astoria, amidships and then the bridge itself. The Astoria would hit the Chokai once before it was too damaged to continue fighting.

Meanwhile, the heavy cruiser USS Quincy was also under fire and would get the worst. Its commander also worried that it was suffering from friendly fire and the commander ordered his weapons to be silent and the ship lit up to identify itself. Japanese shells penetrated an aircraft hangar and set an aircraft on fire. It was too hot for the crew to slide overboard, and Japanese ships took the chance to shoot a lighted target.

See what happens when this airsofter takes on an entire squad with a minigun

The Japanese heavy cruiser Kako in 1926. It was the only Japanese ship lost in the raid on Savo Island and sank on August 10 when the Japanese fleet left the combat area.

(US Marine History and Heritage Command)

Grenades landed just short of the Quincy, then only a long time, and then began to rain on it. Japanese torpedoes triggered the front magazine. The ship’s captain, Captain Samuel Moore, ordered the surviving gunners “Give ’em Hell” just before the bridge was hit by an exploding shell. When he was dying, Moore ordered the ship to be beached, but another officer realized it was already lost and ordered it to be abandoned.

When the Quincy, Vincennes and Astoria began to sink, the Japanese fleet broke off the attack and began their retreat at 2.15 a.m. It had sustained no serious damage, saw at least three U.S. ships sink, left the Australian ship Canberra dead in the water (it would be sunk the next morning), and ensured the deaths of just over 1,000 Americans and Australian sailors .

The battle raged from about 1:40 when Japan positioned itself to 2:15 when Japan withdrew. Depending on which incidents marked the beginning and the end, it took between 30 and 50 minutes.

America made it through a farewell shot, however. While the Japanese fleet was able to bypass the air shield, which was sent from August 9th to 10th, the US submarine S-38 discovered them on August 10th and managed to bring down the Japanese Kako with a torpedo .

More about We are the Mighty

Comments are closed.